Growing up in an Italian kitchen – the aroma of cooking meals today always brings back awesome memories. Every time sauce is made in the house it’s like reliving Sunday’s at Nana’s. No matter what your heritage, everyone should get to experience a great sauce recipe!
“Always keep a small jar of traditional style pasta sauce on hand – in case your sauce doesn’t seem to be thickening well after about 3 hours.”
SPAGHETTI SAUCE WITH MEAT
⅛ tsp baking soda
1 ½ T olive oil
¼ tsp salt
1 medium onion
4 cans tomato paste
1 can tomato puree
6 links of italian sausage
Fresh Basil (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat and after about a minute, add smashed garlic and sautee for approx. 3 minutes and occasioanlly stir to avoid browning.
- Add in can of puree and using same can, stir in water.
- Add four cans of tomato paste and using same cans stir in about 7 cans of water.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until paste fully dissolves.
- Turn up the heat slightly, stirring occasionally until a slow boil begins.
- Stir in onion and baking soda at a slow boil for ONE minute – then turn down heat to low and let simmer for about 45 minutes BEFORE adding any meat.
- Once meat is added cook at an additional 2-2 ½ hours, making sure to stir every 20 minutes or so.
- Add several basil leaves at the last 15 minutes of cooking.